Author Topic: Uses of a towel  (Read 13960 times)

Kilman

• Global Moderator
  • Vastly Hyperintelligent Pandimensional Being
    • davidakilman.com
Uses of a towel
« on: May 27, 2009, 08:27:31 PM »
To quote from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.:

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Feel free to share your insights on the uses of a towel...
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
    • The 19 & 1/42 Deaths of the Grate Oracle Lewot
Re: Uses of a towel
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:37:56 PM »
A cupholder.

Perhaps I used too little fabric softener in the wash, but I wrapped it around a cup and it held the shape when I took the cup out.

They're also useful as curtains, or to fan the heat out of a car that's been parked in the sun.
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

Donna

• Administrator
  • Strag
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:48:48 PM »
- Curtains
- Naptime mat for the kids
- Rolled up into a pillow
- bib

Having 2 small kids I always have a towel in the car.  Very useful tool, indeed.

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:27:11 PM »
I can't remember the ID of the poster at kojv, but she had listed some interesting uses from her experiences as a soldier in Iraq (complete with towel day photo from Iraq).  The list included a tourniquet and something to bind up the hands of surrendered enemy combatants. 
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 07:50:18 AM »
A towel can make it easier to open a jar. It depends on the type of lid, but, yeah.
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

Teatime

• Global Moderator
    • A Fortnight of Mustard
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 03:19:20 AM »
When I was a breastfeeding counselor I always told new moms to tuck towels under the arm that's holding the baby to prop her up to a more comfortable level. A towel can also be used to catch spit up. For teething you can cut a washcloth (which is just a tiny towel) in half, wet it, roll it up, and pop it into the freezer for a bit and it becomes the right temperature and consistancy to sooth a baby's sore gums.

My kids use towels to wrap up treasures they find on hikes.

A while back my girls made a video about the uses of a towel. The audio isn't very good, but it's sort of cute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UGUOMhgWfQ
"And time began seriously to pass."
from D.G.H.D.A.

http://afortnightofmustard.blogspot.com/
http://catholiconceagain.blogspot.com/
Syzygy's just this book, you know?
http://www.facebook.com/Syzygy42

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 06:18:16 AM »
Awwwww. :D That's adorable.

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 04:07:27 PM »
Kids are always good for coming up with uses for things that adults might not think about.  And with towels, the uses are potentially infinite.

Use #??? - Towels can be a handy measuring device.

TheTowelThatCanDoAnything

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 10:18:28 PM »
When was the last time you used a towel for a measuring device? ???

Use#???

Something you can hide behind when hiding from your friends/enemies
In search to know all things.

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 06:58:31 AM »
I used a towel to measure the size of computer monitor by comparing it to another monitor with an already known size.  A towel's uses as a measuring device are nearly infinite.  And given it's flexibility, it is very handy for measuring the perimeter of odd shaped areas, such as a police chalk outline of a dead body, if for some strange reason you happen to need one.

TheTowelThatCanDoAnything

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 09:24:07 PM »
Okay?
In search to know all things.

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 10:43:45 PM »
Oh, I can't believe I forgot this: if you forget your sunblock, you can wear your towel around your shoulders to prevent sunburn on the back of your neck.

--Douglas Adams

VogonGirl

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 02:45:42 AM »
You can use a towel as a weapen (I do it every year on towel day).
"In order to do something that you couldn't do before, you have to do something that you can't do." -Dr. Michael Bolin

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »
Blindfold - sort of a reversal of hiding from a Bugblatter Beast - (disclaimer - it is not recommended that you attempt to put a towel blindfold on a Bugblatter Beast, hiding behind your towel should be sufficient).

ross2joe

• Strag
Angelique Abyss
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »
Now, I’ll details the Neo Angelique Abyss Angelique cosplay costumes.
Being charming and kind-hearted, Angelique namely the merely woman purifier in the globe.
This is a slight Abyss Angelique cosplay custume with aborative design and man-made capabilities. White shirt and blue vest mate with ruddy skirt, joining to removable neckband and a big bowknot in the back. The ribbon bow tin be base aboard the shoulder, bust and neckband. Except as these, seize and neckband are ruffled; black lace works nigh the corner of skirt. It will send you a elated journey in Angelique world, I believe,Youll have a gratifying select from our hug collection Cheap Cosplay.
As a spin-off of Angelique series, Neo Angelique Abyss has been still warmhearted pursuit at fans and entertainers. The fable takes place in a fictional world, where,buy cosplay costumes, not material who you perform or cosplay, youll be a hero (heroine) dedicating yourself to saving the populace from suffering. Moreover, adventurous experience and begging temperaments ambition let you drool over.
Dont restrain your longing apt be a charming role in Neo Angelique Abyss any extra! Now,Very lovely kid cosplay show, the Neo Angelique Abyss Anime Cosplay Costumes have a perfervid encounter with you.