Author Topic: Interesting DNA interview on Youtube  (Read 9463 times)

Salty_Jon42

Interesting DNA interview on Youtube
« on: May 29, 2009, 03:47:52 AM »
Hey fellow kojv'ers and anyone else who has managed to find this website, I don't know if you've seen it or heard about it, but there is an interesting interview of the man himself on Youtube, about an hour and a half long.  It was a lot of fun to watch...he was a good speaker along with everything else.  So in case you haven't found it, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZG8HBuDjgc

Kilman

• Global Moderator
  • Vastly Hyperintelligent Pandimensional Being
    • davidakilman.com
Re: Interesting DNA interview on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 04:18:17 AM »
Sounds interesting, I will definitely have to watch it, though at an hour and a half I will probably have to wait for some extended free time.
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
    • The 19 & 1/42 Deaths of the Grate Oracle Lewot
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 06:12:27 PM »
I thought Youtube had a ten minute limit. Also, the video doesn't seem to be buffering for me, but if it's that long, it could take a while.
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »
It loads fine for me and shows it as 1 hour and 27 minutes long - but I still have to find a block of free time...
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
    • The 19 & 1/42 Deaths of the Grate Oracle Lewot
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:39:14 PM »
The page loaded, so to speak, but the video didn't seem to be buffering. I was right, though, it was just taking too long for there to be any immediately noticeable results. So, yeah, I watched it.

He says a lot of the same stuff that he did in Last Chance to See and Salmon of Doubt, but it's not like that kind of stuff isn't worth hearing/reading twice (or many more times). It's a very fun and interesting video to watch. It's so strange how familiar his words seem to me--even the ones that aren't repeated in his books--when I've never actually met him. I mean, it's a simple enough phenomenon, but since he's gone . . . I remember seeing video footage of an extinct animal and thinking how, just, weird it is that I'm seeing something that no longer exists. And to have that feeling about someone I feel so familiar with but haven't met . . . Well, I'm rambling.
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

Salty_Jon42

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 06:07:06 AM »
Yeah, he seems to have had such a way with words, anything he said or wrote seems familiar and friendly.

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 05:00:36 PM »
Much of the material came from, or was related to, Last Chance to See, so that much was very familiar.  Some of the other parts also came through in other interviews or writings.  I did like how he handled the Q&A part where he avoiding endorsement of a particular resolution to environmental problems.  He makes an important point that people often get fired up with solutions which sometimes only make a problem worse through unintended consequences.  I suspect a large part of the current efforts to "save the planet" will end up like that.  It makes for great comic irony.

VogonGirl

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 07:28:12 PM »
I have no idea what your talking about ???
"In order to do something that you couldn't do before, you have to do something that you can't do." -Dr. Michael Bolin