Author Topic: And Another Thing  (Read 5475 times)

Kilman

• Global Moderator
  • Vastly Hyperintelligent Pandimensional Being
    • davidakilman.com
And Another Thing
« on: September 25, 2009, 10:36:20 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right category, since it is not actually written by Adams, but...

We are only a couple weeks away from the release of And Another Thing.  Personally, I am not sure I can read it.  I am not trying to knock Colfer or anything, it's just that it doesn't seem right.  The characters and universe have a personality that came from Douglas Adams, and I really don't want them altered in my mind by someone else.  Simple as that.

Anyone planning to rush out and get this?
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
    • The 19 & 1/42 Deaths of the Grate Oracle Lewot
Re: And Another Thing
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 01:35:52 AM »
I want to read it to see what it's like, but I'm not expecting it to be as good as if DNA had written it. I don't really know what to think--I never do: that's why I have to just read it and judge afterward. (Somehow I thought we already had this topic, but I guess that was a different forum. I forget what I said wherever that was.)
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

Teatime

• Global Moderator
    • A Fortnight of Mustard
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 09:40:07 PM »
Oh, I do want to read it. If you can't get any brand new DNA, a fanfic's the next best thing in my oh so humble opinion.  ::)
"And time began seriously to pass."
from D.G.H.D.A.

http://afortnightofmustard.blogspot.com/
http://catholiconceagain.blogspot.com/
Syzygy's just this book, you know?
http://www.facebook.com/Syzygy42

Salty_Jon42

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:45:29 PM »
I want to read it to see what it's like, but I'm not expecting it to be as good as if DNA had written it. I don't really know what to think--I never do: that's why I have to just read it and judge afterward.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm going to be doing. 

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
    • The 19 & 1/42 Deaths of the Grate Oracle Lewot
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 05:42:51 AM »
So, has anyone read it yet? :P I keep forgetting to look for it. I'll try next week.
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »
Not I

I haven't seen any professional reviews of it yet.  Customer reviews at Amazon are mixed so far.  Out of 36 customers, star ratings (out of 5) are as follows:

36 Reviews
5 star:    (5)
4 star:    (12)
3 star:    (6)
2 star:    (5)
1 star:    ( 8 )

Not trying to highlight the 8 by moving the brackets, it wants to turn into a smiley of some sort when the brackets are closer...

Compare that to Hitchhikers (not very fair, I suppose):

873 Reviews
5 star:    (646)
4 star:    (121)
3 star:    (48)
2 star:    (26)
1 star:    (32)
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox