Author Topic: Happy Holidays?  (Read 70993 times)

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
    • The 19 & 1/42 Deaths of the Grate Oracle Lewot
Happy Holidays?
« on: December 18, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »
Not much going on here anymore, but if anyone's there, I'll offer a Merry Christmas, or whichever holiday you prefer. :)
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
  • Vastly Hyperintelligent Pandimensional Being
    • davidakilman.com
Re: Happy Holidays?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
I'll take some Merry Christmas or whatever kind of holiday cheer you are handing out.  :D

I was out of town for a while, hence the unwashed spam postings that lingered on the site.  I'll go clean that up now.  

Yea, towel day discussion is a bit slow at the moment.  I still haven't had time to learn how write the code for some of the improvements I would like in place here before spring.  And I still have to contact related places to establish links.  I guess that is what New Year's resolutions are for.
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 07:18:48 PM »
Well, we know what DNA wrote about New Year's Resolutions (if we've read the Salmon of Doubt, that is), but good luck anyway. It's Christmas Eve Day where I live, so I can officially say Merry Christmas now. So Merry Christmas. ;)
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 06:11:14 PM »
Merry Christmas!

Which reminds me... I still don't own a copy of The Utterly, Utterly Merry Comic Relief Christmas Book.  Does anyone have this, and would they recommend it?
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

VogonGirl

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 09:12:02 PM »
I'm so happy for what I got today! :)   Thank you DAD!!!!!!!!!!   :D
"In order to do something that you couldn't do before, you have to do something that you can't do." -Dr. Michael Bolin

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 05:04:04 AM »
Happy New Year!

And on a towel related note...  Before the "do or die" football game tonight, the NY Jets gave out 75,000 towels to people attending the game.  Being a Jets fan, I took this as a good omen.  The Jets went on to win 37-0 and qualified for the playoffs!

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 01:48:44 AM »
You guys know that 37 is the number that shows up in the books much more often than 42 does, right? Considering that it's 42-5, it seems somehow significant. But maybe it's just me.

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:56:38 PM »
Um...

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 02:39:55 AM »
Sorry. I'm not much of a sports person, so it was the only thing that came to mind. It's true, though--for example, Marvin was thirty-seven times older than the universe when he died. That's the only one I can readily remember, but there are a whole lot of them throughout the books. I don't remember if it was also true of the radio show.

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 06:06:09 PM »
I didn't realize 37 appears more frequently in the books.  Maybe I read it somewhere and forgot.  Next time you mention it, I will have forgotten it again and be similarly confused.  So it was a double omen.  But I am still confused about the significance of -5 (other than it being the difference between 42 and 37).

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 11:18:41 PM »
I guess just because humans have 5 fingers on each hand and stuff. 5 is half of 10 and we count in base 10, because we have 10 fingers total. I dunno. My "brain" "works" in strange "ways."

But the 37 thing is true, although I don't think it was intentional. I think at different points he was trying to think of a number besides 42, and for whatever reason, he kept thinking of 37, although he does use 38 once.

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »
Well, the good mojo from the towels ran out eventually.  Fans who traveled to the away games must have forgotten their towels.  There is always next year (unless Vogons come to make way for a bypass).  Interestingly enough, next season is the 42nd anniversary of the Jets first (and only) Superbowl win (the famous one with Joe Namath).  I will have to send a message to someone in the organization and suggest they give out towels with 42 on them.

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 07:00:57 AM »
Happy Ides of March!

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 04:20:34 AM »
Happy Easter!

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 09:53:14 PM »
Oh, yeah. Are there any other holidays before Towel Day?

--Douglas Adams