Author Topic: Design a Banner Contest  (Read 20856 times)

Kilman

• Global Moderator
  • Vastly Hyperintelligent Pandimensional Being
    • davidakilman.com
Design a Banner Contest
« on: February 17, 2010, 01:58:03 AM »
At the moment, people seem about as aware of this site as a Bugblatter Beast is aware of someone hiding behind a towel, which is to say, no one knows we are here.  So, to remedy this, we want to create a banner that can be put up on other web sites, linking them back here for thrilling discussion, Towel Day planning, etc... 

While I can't speak for our host, Donna, I can say that my artistic talent is woefully lacking.  That is where you come in.  You, or maybe someone who has stolen your identity, get a chance to design a banner for this site.  Here is how it works:

1) Design an eye catching (you will have to set them free after the contest) banner that will attract visitors to towelday.net

2) Post your graphic here for brutal and humiliating judgment by your peers

Its that simple

The Prize, rules, and other small print

The winner will receive a fully refurbished EGO compliments of Short Term Meaningless Success Inc. (approximate retail value $0.0000042)  Taxes are the sole responsibility of anyone foolish enough to pay them.  The creator and sponsors of this contest are not responsible for any loss of humility stemming from misuse of the prize.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:02:46 AM by Kilman »
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
    • The 19 & 1/42 Deaths of the Grate Oracle Lewot
Re: Design a Banner Contest
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:46:20 AM »
You're really quite a good writer :P

I can occasionally draw video game sprites, but I tend not to be so good with basic artistic images. If I think of anything, though, I may and/or may not make and post it.
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 02:27:27 AM »
Here is something.

He has designed banners which he says are free to use.

http://www.travisavery.com/2010/03/towel-day-2010.html

Looks good to me!
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:28:31 AM »
Apparently this one is already linked to towelday.org.  It would probably be a good idea to put this somewhere on the front page to give people a link to that site and design a separate one leading to towelday.net.  I suspect it would be confusing if the same banner was used to link to two different sites.

It's been almost a month since the call went out for a banner, but no entries yet.  Never fear, I hear VogonGirl is in the process of designing one.

TheTowelThatCanDoAnything

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:35:06 PM »
Don't forget, I'm working on one to cause I'm  8)TheTowelThatCanDoAnything 8)! This part dosnt matter I just like puting the line though it  :P
In search to know all things.

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:40:25 PM »
42 days to go and still no banner.  :(

VogonGirl

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 06:24:15 PM »
Working on it.
"In order to do something that you couldn't do before, you have to do something that you can't do." -Dr. Michael Bolin

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 04:37:18 PM »
Towel Day is here and we never did get out a banner - hence the droves of visitors...   :'(

Never fear, the Design a Banner Contest is still open.  Act now and we will upgrade the previously announced prize to a SUPER-EGO!

Teatime

• Global Moderator
    • A Fortnight of Mustard
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 11:27:29 PM »
Sorry, I can't help will a banner. But I put a link on my facebook and my mustard blog.
"And time began seriously to pass."
from D.G.H.D.A.

http://afortnightofmustard.blogspot.com/
http://catholiconceagain.blogspot.com/
Syzygy's just this book, you know?
http://www.facebook.com/Syzygy42

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 04:25:14 AM »
Wonderful!  Hopefully our community will grow a bit more between now and next Towel Day.

Incidentally, here is why I am not fit to design the banner.  It is a little artwork I did several months ago entitled, "Self Portrait with Towel"

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:14:52 AM by Kilman »

VogonGirl

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 12:30:39 PM »
You can do better because I saw your D&D picture of your character.
"In order to do something that you couldn't do before, you have to do something that you can't do." -Dr. Michael Bolin

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
    • The 19 & 1/42 Deaths of the Grate Oracle Lewot
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 10:07:09 PM »
Aaaaactually... Come to think of it, I know a guy who can draw. But he's already working on other some requests of mine, and I don't want to over-burden him. Maybe once he finishes what he's working on now, I'll see what he thinks of the idea.
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

Teatime

• Global Moderator
    • A Fortnight of Mustard
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 11:43:19 PM »
Well even I can do better than a stick figure.  8)
"And time began seriously to pass."
from D.G.H.D.A.

http://afortnightofmustard.blogspot.com/
http://catholiconceagain.blogspot.com/
Syzygy's just this book, you know?
http://www.facebook.com/Syzygy42

VogonGirl

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 12:41:12 AM »
Ha ha daddy!  :D  Teatime agrees with me!  ;D

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 04:39:55 AM »
Well now, the more I look at "Self Portrait with Towel", the more I come to view it as a masterpiece of modern abstract art.