Author Topic: Game Demo Thing  (Read 17848 times)

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
    • The 19 & 1/42 Deaths of the Grate Oracle Lewot
Re: Game Demo Thing
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 01:40:56 AM »
Yeah, like I said, these demo levels are hard because I wanted to cram everything in them. The real levels 1-1 and 1-2 will hopefully be rather easier.

Anyway, I made another useless update. I put an Instructions button on the title screen, and I added to some of the angels' comments.
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

VogonGirl

• Vastly Hyperintelligent Pandimensional Being
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 03:42:44 PM »
cool.    ;)
"In order to do something that you couldn't do before, you have to do something that you can't do." -Dr. Michael Bolin

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 05:41:54 AM »
Update wooooooooooooooooooo

New levels and stuff. Bunch of glitches fixed, but you won't notice that. The levels are pretty hard, but people at other forums always complain if things are too easy, so blame them. Oh, yeah, I added a little "dialogue" scene between Jumpy and Speedy, too. Oh, and there are bosses at the end of level 4. Levels 5 and 6 are empty rooms though. But 1 through 4 are pretty well-tested, so there shouldn't be too many glitches.

Share and enjoy!
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 04:53:40 AM »
Two more levels. They're kinda weird ones. :p

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 05:08:14 AM »
I downloaded it again, but I don't think I will be able to play anytime soon.  As my kids will tell you, I am really not allowed to play video games until Christmas break.  It is a self imposed restriction necessary for getting things done.  I have a tremendous knack for procrastination and certain things, like video games, are great procrastination enablers.  You see, I am well past the age when Julius Caesar observed that he was at the age when Alexander the Great had already conquered the known world - and I haven't even conquered a small village!

Should we using the same link as at the beginning of the thread?
http://www.box.net/shared/ciglyr394f

"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 09:25:48 AM »
Oh, yeah, I guess I wasn't clear on that. I updated the link in the first post--it's kind of easier that way, assuming multiple updates. I plan to keep working on it, but it does tend to take me a long time. But, yeah. If you click a link and it doesn't give you a file, then that means it isn't the most recent link, because all the old ones stop working when I make a new one.

--Douglas Adams

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 10:24:45 AM »
Well, I understand if there's not a lot of interest in this, but it has been pretty significantly updated. The first two Worlds are pretty much complete, including one two-player level apiece. The two-player levels are rather harder than the other levels, though.

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 02:49:38 AM »
I am interested - just strapped for time.  I may try to defeat all levels available come Christmas break (rapidly approaching).

Incidentally, I get "This shared file or folder link has been removed" so I take it there is a new link?
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 08:27:12 AM »
Yeah, I update the link often because I always forget to do things before each update, so it's not improbably that you'll click the link when I'm in the process of making a new one. Anyway, I think it should work right now, and most of World 3 is done-ish (I haven't made the bonus level yet, though).

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 03:32:21 PM »
That would explain it.  OK, I got the latest one now and will see how far I can get this week.  Just when you think you have some free time, flat tire, cable modem dies, plumbing backs up, etc...  Sometimes I feel like Dwayne Hoover in Breakfast of Champions (he starts thinking that he is the only person who has free will.  Everyone else is a robot and everything is made by the creator to see how Dwayne will react).

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 02:44:01 AM »
Hmm, well, since the last thing I said was that the first two worlds were complete, I should probably note that the third one is now complete as well. Of course, when I say complete, it's still subject to change, but at least there is something there.

--Douglas Adams

Teatime

• Global Moderator
    • A Fortnight of Mustard
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 04:02:02 AM »
Of course, when I say complete, it's still subject to change.

As a writer, I need that quote on a T-shirt.  ;D
"And time began seriously to pass."
from D.G.H.D.A.

http://afortnightofmustard.blogspot.com/
http://catholiconceagain.blogspot.com/
Syzygy's just this book, you know?
http://www.facebook.com/Syzygy42

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 11:03:18 PM »
Well, now world 4 is almost complete. The four main levels and two bosses are done, but I still have to make the two-player level, which will have a bonus boss battle in it. I'll finish that stuff some other time.

--Douglas Adams

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 07:11:10 PM »
I downloaded the latest version, but I am still in the first world or level or whatever it is.

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 07:52:22 PM »
Yeah, I might go ahead and open up all the levels next time I re-release, since I am calling it a demo. Then you wouldn't have to beat all the older stuff to see the new stuff. I suppose that makes more sense.

I should note that, if you load a saved game, none of the changes in the game will be there when you play it. That's because you're loading the game as it was before I updated. (Erm, so, well, if you play the new version, and then load that as a saved game, that'll work fine. But if the first thing you do upon getting a new version is load a saved game, that's what will be screwy.)

--Douglas Adams