Author Topic: Baby Rabbits  (Read 4014 times)

VogonGirl

• Vastly Hyperintelligent Pandimensional Being
Baby Rabbits
« on: February 23, 2013, 03:34:52 AM »
So to begin, I will give some background to the story.  On July 18th 2012, my little sister, our friend and I caught to rabbits in our neighborhood.  They were definitely domestic, so we put up signs saying “found rabbit”.  People were very unnerved at the thought of signs speaking, that we got no calls about the rabbits.  We kept them, and named them Natasha and Momiji.  We had no idea what the genders were, and we tried to find out but we were unsuccessful in our endeavor.  So in the end we had to assume they were both female.

A man down the street offered us a rabbit hutch, apparently supposed to go to some friend but that friend never came to get it.  He gave us quite a bit of information as to how to care for the rabbits and keep cats away; makes you think he was the previous owner of the rabbits.  So they live outside in a hutch, pulling through the tough winds, rains and snows.  The fact that nothing happened for a while, only strengthened our belief that they were both female.  Until Sometime around October and September we found baby rabbits in the hutch.

We found out that Natasha was the girl, and Momiji was the boy.  Thankfully it was not the other way around, otherwise we would have to rename the male.  That litter of babies died, having frozen to death out there with no nest to snuggle in.  Natasha was not the smartest of rabbit mothers, but I don’t think they all are.  I wanted a litter of babies to live, so my parents, being the cool people they are, allowed me to postpone Momiji’s neutering, and let the rabbits try again.  Natasha had another litter the next month, in November, and that one died too.  We wanted to make a house for the rabbits, so she could have the babies in there, but we came a day late.  Natasha tried to make a nest this time though, but only after the babies were born.

Again, we let the rabbits have another litter.  This time we came prepared, and my brother made my rabbits a little house as an early Christmas gift.  It set it up in the hutch, and waited until the expected time of arrival.  The gestation period is about thirty days, so we assumed that around New Year’s they would come.  We waited a long time until the babies finally came, on February 18th, last Monday.  Natasha had been preparing for their arrival by making, taking apart, and re-making a nest in the little house we gave them.  She thankfully had them in the little house, and the babies survived.

On Thursday we took Momiji in to be neutered, and now he’s healing in a separate cage in the hutch.  I check on the baby rabbits every day, and they keep getting cuter.

I’ve taken some pictures of them, so now you can see their cuteness.

This is how small they are <3

They have more hair than they did when they were born, but that doesn't make then less cute. <3 :)
"In order to do something that you couldn't do before, you have to do something that you can't do." -Dr. Michael Bolin

Grate Oracle Lewot

• Global Moderator
  • Hooloovoo
    • The 19 & 1/42 Deaths of the Grate Oracle Lewot
Re: Baby Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »
Awwwwwwwwwwwww <3
". . . We realised we had been myopically shortsighted to think this thing was just an adding machine. . . . So we began to develop it as a super typewriter. With a long and increasingly incomprehensible feature list. Users of Microsoft Word will know what I'm talking about."

--Douglas Adams

Marvin

• Frood
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 03:05:26 AM »
Their so adorable!   :D

VogonGirl

R.I.P
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 06:41:05 PM »
R.I.P

Sadly, today marks their last day.  They were nine days old today, but never made it further.  It was pretty cold, so I covered them with their mother's fur last night, but they move around too much and the fur came off.  Even though they have their own fur, it wasn't enough for the harsh winds last night.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:41:19 PM by VogonGirl »
"In order to do something that you couldn't do before, you have to do something that you can't do." -Dr. Michael Bolin

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:22:37 PM »
 :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Marvin

• Frood
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:24:33 PM »
 :'(

Teatime

• Global Moderator
    • A Fortnight of Mustard
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 12:14:30 AM »
How sad. :(
Too bad they didn't wait until spring to have their babies.
"And time began seriously to pass."
from D.G.H.D.A.

http://afortnightofmustard.blogspot.com/
http://catholiconceagain.blogspot.com/
Syzygy's just this book, you know?
http://www.facebook.com/Syzygy42

VogonGirl

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 03:26:53 PM »
I didn't get around to posting this because I was lazy. :P  But my rabbit had babies again!  We read up that rabbits can get pregnant basically right after they give birth to one litter, so we deduced that was the only way she could've had this litter because Momiji was neutered.  I have a picture of my babies, and so far they are doing well. :D  Yesterday was their one week birthday, and it's neat that we get little baby bunnies for Easter. ^_^

Teatime

• Global Moderator
    • A Fortnight of Mustard
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 03:30:23 PM »
So cute!  Easter bunnies. :)
"And time began seriously to pass."
from D.G.H.D.A.

http://afortnightofmustard.blogspot.com/
http://catholiconceagain.blogspot.com/
Syzygy's just this book, you know?