Author Topic: Slides from a Towel Day Talk  (Read 3367 times)

APhilosopherInEssex

Slides from a Towel Day Talk
« on: August 06, 2013, 01:05:53 PM »
Dear all

Those slides, which are about my book Philosophy and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (published by Palgrave) can be obtained from this webpage.

I gave the talk on the last towel day (2013), in Cambridge (and the slides themselves contain acknowledgements).

Thanks for any interest!

EDIT: actually, I think I do want fire that can be fitted nasally . .

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 01:08:14 PM by APhilosopherInEssex »

Kilman

• Global Moderator
  • Vastly Hyperintelligent Pandimensional Being
    • davidakilman.com
Re: Slides from a Towel Day Talk
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:55:53 PM »
Hello Nicholas "ultimate party" Joll,

Thanks for the link to the slide show.

I remember reading about your book last spring, but I must confess that I forgot about it until a few days ago.  The table of contents and index look promising, although I suspect you could have included dozens, or even hundreds, more philosophical topics.  Adams managed to do so much with so few words, I'll always live in envy.

I homeschool my children (probably a more prevalent practice here in the US than in the UK) which affords me greater flexibility in choosing educational text.  All my children get at least an introductory course in philosophy.  Further exploration in philosophy is dependent upon each child's interest.  Your book might be the sort of thing that spurs additional interest (not all children can stomach Kant, Hegel, et al).  And although I would really be buying it for myself, I can slip it into the educational portion of the budget, thereby sneaking the expense past the wife.

P.S. With reference to the issue of concern in relation to the possible inadvertent, and entirely subconscious, inclusion of impoverished language in my reply, you have my apologies for any inappropriate content herein.
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

APhilosopherInEssex

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 09:16:41 PM »
Dear Kilman

Thank you for your kind, amusing and interesting post!

The book could indeed have covered more than it did. Witness the very long list of 'philosophical topics in Hitchhiker's' on my website. I hope to publish a companion volume (entitled something like More Philosophy and The Hitchhiker's . . etc.).

Home-schooling: interesting! Brave, too, I think.

With thanks for your interest,

Nicholas

PS: My name may mean (though I haven't checked . .) 'ultimate party'; but you, apparently, are a 'Vastly Hyperintelligent Pandimensional Being' - which sounds quite pleasant (although perhaps even such a being would be destroyed by the Total Perspective Vortex . .). EDIT: Whereas I am labelled a 'strag'. I'll have to work on that!
PPS: If you hope to economise, you could opt for the electronic version of my book. It looks quite nice, and it corrects several errors that, despite considerable effort on my part, made it into the paperback. On the other hand, the paperback is . . an actual book, and it has been prettily printed, i.e. looks good.
PPPS: Yes, I fear that my webpage on impoverished language (1) might intimidate somewhat, (2) fits ill with my site's jaunty Hitchhiker stuff.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:20:35 PM by APhilosopherInEssex »

Kilman

• Global Moderator
    • davidakilman.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 10:14:57 PM »
Dear Nicholas, whose name may, or may not, mean 'ultimate party',

A companion volume?  Yes, please.  Although I can't truly say until I've read the first one, I suspect it would be both entertaining and enlightening.

Brave, maybe so, but then I'm not sure which is more brave, taking on the full responsibility of educating your children, or sending them to a school staffed by strangers, who may be no more competent than the ones who taught you as a child, and hoping for the best.

P.S. Being a Vastly Hyperintelligent Pandimensional Being is rather pleasant, particularly the portion that doesn't have to reside in this dimension.  As for being a ‘strag’, you can probably guess how many posts it takes to move on to the next level.

P.S.S. I'll have to pass on the electronic version, despite the corrections.  I have a fetish for killing trees.
"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

APhilosopherInEssex

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 10:32:43 PM »
I'm not sure which is more brave, taking on the full responsibility of educating your children, or sending them to a school staffed by strangers, who may be no more competent than the ones who taught you as a child, and hoping for the best.

I see your point, I think.

I suspect it would be both entertaining and enlightening

Thank you!

As to 'particularly the portion that doesn't have to reside in this dimension': quite!

All the best

Nicholas
PS: Whether or not there's a companion book depends largely on how well the existing book sells (and thus far it is selling well, but not perhaps not quite well enough).

VogonGirl

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 04:00:47 AM »
This looks like a welcome thread now, so welcome, Nicholas!

I was thinking, since Kilman had passed some joke that I didn't get having not read even a bit of your website yet, I would just pop in and say "Albatross."  However that could be taken as, "Get off our ship" if what comes to mind first is The Rime of the Ancient Mariner as oppossed to Monty Python.

Anyway, welcome to the forums and don't get off our ship because we're glad to have you aboard!
"In order to do something that you couldn't do before, you have to do something that you can't do." -Dr. Michael Bolin

APhilosopherInEssex

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »
This looks like a welcome thread now, so welcome, Nicholas!

I was thinking, since Kilman had passed some joke that I didn't get having not read even a bit of your website yet, I would just pop in and say "Albatross."  However that could be taken as, "Get off our ship" if what comes to mind first is The Rime of the Ancient Mariner as oppossed to Monty Python.

Anyway, welcome to the forums and don't get off our ship because we're glad to have you aboard!

Thank you!

I will have to look up the Python-istic sense of 'albatross'; that's gone over my head!

VogonGirl

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 08:48:25 PM »
Thank you!

I will have to look up the Python-istic sense of 'albatross'; that's gone over my head!

Basicaly it was a random comment "inspired by" John Cleese to inside jokes. =)  At my house we do a similar thing, except my siblings say polar bear instead, which is just plain random.
"In order to do something that you couldn't do before, you have to do something that you can't do." -Dr. Michael Bolin